Joe Moakley Internship Program
The Massachusetts Democratic Party is committed to developing the next generation of leaders! Apply today to the Joe Moakley Internship Program.
The MDP is offering paid internship opportunities to all students enrolled in college or post-secondary programs and 2022 college graduates and post-secondary certificate holders who are residents of Massachusetts and registered Democrats.
Due to the nominating convention in the spring and the upcoming 2022 election, MassDems is offering the Joe Moakley internship in two cohorts–a spring cohort and a fall cohort. The Fall Cohort is expected to run from September 19th through November 11th. Please note that the internship program is a part time, virtual internship that averages 20 hours per week at $15/hour.
Applications with the following documents must be received no later than July 15th, 2022 at 5:00 PM (no exceptions) and must be submitted here.
- Applicant must be a Massachusetts resident
- Must currently be enrolled in a two or four-year college or university, a trade or apprenticeship program, or be a 2022 high school student (with pending college/post-secondary application), or college or post-secondary program graduate
- Applicants eligible to vote must be a registered Democrat in Massachusetts (Register Here!). Applicants ineligible to vote should provide proof of engagement in a Democratic Organization (i.e Young Democrats of Massachusetts, College Democrats of Massachusetts, Bay State Stonewall Democrats) or in a service organization (i.e. a food bank, community-based organizations, etc.)
- 2.5 minimum GPA
- Commitment to public service and desire to be politically active
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Cover Letter of Application
- Essay (300-word limit)
- One-page Resume
- Unofficial Transcript
- 2 letters of Recommendation
Please note that ALL components of your application must be submitted by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- For Internship Applicants: 8-week, part-time commitment to work as an intern with MDP and/or policy organization or local community-based organization working on issues that advance MDP platform goals.
- Please note that interns that the Fall Cohort is expected to run from September 19th through November 11th.
- This is a virtual opportunity through which most responsibilities will be handled remotely. This date is flexible, however, as we realize that school schedules vary.
Essay for Congressman Joe Moakley Internship Candidates: Discuss how Congressman Moakley or any other Massachusetts Member of Congress or the U.S. Senate has inspired your political beliefs and values. What would you do in your internship to ensure that they are reflected in your work?
- The committee will select candidates based on the application package and interviews.
- Interviews are mandatory and are scheduled for July 20-23rd, depending on the number of applications.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate leadership skills; proven commitment to public service; past political activity or desire to become active members of the Democratic Party; a strong commitment to MDP values; and an ability to work with diverse communities.
- Disability accommodations may be requested.
- Successful candidates will receive a $2,000 internship stipend.
If you have questions, please contact MassDems Convention Director Joe Sherlock at 617-939-0800 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.