2020 Summer Internship Program
The Massachusetts Democratic Party is currently seeking applications from highly motivated college students, vocational students, and graduate students to participate in a 12-week summer internship program. We welcome and encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds and levels of experience are welcome and encouraged to apply.
This program will provide participants with an opportunity to engage with the Massachusetts Democratic Party, learn more about how the state party infrastructure supports Democrats in Massachusetts, and how we can continue to grow the Democratic Party. This semester, interns will assist in the 2020 Convention process as well as the 2020 Coordinated Campaign. Interns who participate in this program will learn more about the current state of politics in Massachusetts, the role of state parties in the political system, and how to be effective volunteers, advocates, and future political operatives.
- Internships are a 12-week experience beginning on Monday, May 11th. We are flexible on starting and ending dates as we realize that school schedules vary.
- Interns are expected to participate 15 to 20 hours a week, with the possibility of events during nights and weekends, as well as attending the 2020 State Convention.
- Internship schedules are flexible, and we are committed to a schedule that allows interns to attend school and/or work while interning.
- Interns will be based out of the Massachusetts Democratic Party in Boston.
- If applicable, we will gladly assist to qualify and highly encourage eligible interns for course credit.
Political Affairs, Training, and Operations Interns
A good option for political novices and aficionados alike, this internship track will present participants with an opportunity to engage in the core mission of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. Interns will learn about voter registration, organizing events, assisting the delegate selection process, and preparing for the 2020 Convention. You will develop an understanding of the political landscape on Beacon Hill and throughout the state. The ideal intern has some exposure to a Democratic campaign or progressive cause and an interest in Democratic politics along with a strong desire to learn more about campaigns and the Massachusetts Democratic Party.
Data and Technology Interns
Data Interns will learn how to assist Party staff in maintaining the state’s voter file, how to gather election and polling place data, and how to support projects aimed to help build organizing plans for campaigns and providing support to local party organizations. Familiarity with VoteBuilder (VAN) and Microsoft Excel, SQL, Python, and/or a willingness to learn is recommended.
Digital Content and Graphic Design Interns
Digital Content and Graphic Design interns will learn from our communications and social media team in developing and designing original content, learning how to develop a consistent and comprehensive brand identity and assisting with high priority rapid response activities. Ideal candidates have a passion for design, ability to produce graphics quickly and responsively. Political instincts and an understanding of the news cycle are critical. Basic to intermediate skills in Adobe Photoshop required, and experience with Premiere, and/or After Effects is recommended.
- Basic office functions such as answering phones, checking and responding to emails and data entry. General administrative office tasks and duties.
- Greeting guests and volunteers as they enter the office, answer general questions.
- Actively participating in canvasses, phone banks, and voter registration drives.
- Familiarity with the workings of state government and issues in Massachusetts politics.
- Must be able to commit to maintaining office standards of confidentiality and discretion.
- A positive can-do attitude and enthusiasm for the task at hand.
- Technological proficiency with Microsoft suite and/or Google Drive, and social media.
- Comfortable in a shifting of priorities environment and ability to quickly adapt.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner.
If you have questions, please contact Jeremy Comeau at 617-939-0800 or by email at email@example.com.