The Massachusetts Democratic Party is committed to developing the next generation of leaders! Apply today to the MDP JFK Scholarship & Joe Moakley Internship Programs.
The MDP is offering scholarship and paid internship opportunities to all students enrolled in college or post-secondary programs and 2021 college graduates and post-secondary certificate holders who are residents of Massachusetts and registered Democrats.
Applications with the following documents must be received no later than Friday, March 19th, 2021 at 5:00 PM (no exceptions) and must be submitted here: bit.ly/JFK-Moakley2021
- Applicant must be a Massachusetts resident
- Must currently be enrolled in a two- or four-year college or university, a post-secondary school program, or be a 2021 high school (with pending college/post-secondary application), or college or post-secondary program graduate
- Applicants eligible to vote must be a registered Democrat in Massachusetts (Register Here!). Applicants ineligible to vote should provide proof of engagement in a Democratic Organization (i.e Young Democrats of Massachusetts, College Democrats of Massachusetts, Bay State Stonewall Democrats) or in a service organization (i.e. a food bank, community-based organizations, etc.)
- 2.5 minimum GPA
- Commitment to public service and desire to be politically active
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Cover Letter of Application
- Essay (300-word limit)
- One-page Resume
- Unofficial Transcript Additional Info On Reverse Side
- 2 letters of Recommendation
- For Internship Applicants: 8-week, part-time commitment to work as an intern with MDP and/or policy organization or local community-based organization working on issues that advance MDP platform goals. This is a virtual opportunity to begin on Monday, May 17th through which most responsibilities will be handled remotely. This date is flexible, however, as we realize that school schedules vary.
- For All Candidates: Commit to attend the Massachusetts Democratic Convention in Fall 2021.
Essay for JFK Scholarship Candidates: Discuss how President John F. Kennedy has inspired your life. How do you ensure that his values are manifested in your own activism?
Essay for Congressman Joe Moakley Internship Candidates: Discuss how Congressman Moakley or any other Massachusetts Member of Congress or the U.S. Senate has inspired your political beliefs and values. What would you do in your internship to ensure that they are reflected in your work?
- The Selection Committee will select candidates based on the application package and interviews.
- Interviews are mandatory and will be scheduled for April 6th and April 7th.
- Candidates may apply/be eligible for the JFK Scholarship, Moakley Internship or both; however, only one application package and only one essay is required. Candidates may only be selected for one program.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate leadership skills; proven commitment to public service; past political activity or desire to become active members of the Democratic Party; a strong commitment to MDP values; and an ability to work with diverse communities.
- Successful candidates will receive a $3,000 scholarship or $2,000 internship stipend.
If you have questions, please contact MassDems Elections Coordinator Joe Sherlock at 617-939-0800 or by email at email@example.com.