2018 Midterm Election Internship Program
We are accepting applications for our Fall 2018 Internship Program!
This 12-week program, open to high school seniors, college and graduate students, will give you an opportunity to work directly with the Massachusetts Democratic Party and be an important part of the team fighting to get strong Democrats elected and re-elected at all levels and in all communities. We’re also on the actively organizing to ensure a high voter turnout to help put a Democratic governor back in the Corner Office.
Interns will learn about the structure of the Democratic Party, engage with local Democratic campaigns, and help advance progressive values in the Commonwealth.
- Internships are a 12-week experience (Thursday, September 6 to approximately Wednesday, November 28).
- Mid-Term Election Interns are expected to work 15 to 20 hours per week, with the option and expectation that some work will be on nights and weekends.
- Internship schedules are flexible, and we are committed to a schedule that allows interns to attend school and/or work while interning.
- Interns have the option to work out of MassDems Party headquarters in Boston, or at our campaign offices in Plymouth or Worcester.
- All internships are unpaid. (We will gladly assist to qualify eligible interns for course credit, when applicable.)
Political Affairs, Training, and Operations Interns
A good option for political novices and aficionados alike, this internship track gives participants an opportunity to engage in the core mission of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. Interns will play a role in our coordinated campaign effort by assisting at grassroots events, pulling together presentations, and helping plan and execute trainings. Interns will learn from seasoned organizers of legislative and municipal campaigns, community organizing practices within communities of color, and assist with identifying volunteers of color. You will develop an understanding of the political landscape on Beacon Hill and throughout the state. The ideal intern has some exposure to a Democratic campaign or progressive cause and an interest in Democratic politics along with a strong desire to learn more about campaigns and the Massachusetts Democratic Party.
Data and Technology Interns
Data Interns will support Party staff in maintaining the state’s voter file, election and polling place data, and projects aimed to help build organizing plans for campaigns and providing support to local party organizations. Familiarity with VoteBuilder (VAN) and Microsoft Excel and/or a willingness to learn is key.
Digital Content and Graphic Design Interns
Digital Content and Graphic Design interns will support our communications and social media team in developing and designing original content, learning how to develop consistent and comprehensive brand identity, and assisting with high priority rapid response activities. Ideal candidates have a passion for design and the ability to produce graphics quickly and on demand. Political instincts and an understanding of the news cycle are critical. Basic to intermediate skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or MailChimp required. Experience with gif and/or meme graphics a plus.
- Basic office functions such as answering phones, checking and responding to emails and data entry. General administrative office tasks and duties.
- Greeting guests and volunteers as they enter the office, answer general questions.
- Actively participating in canvassses, phone banks and voter registration drives.
- Familiarity of the workings of state government and issues in Massachusetts politics.
- Must be able to commit to maintaining office standards of confidentiality and discretion.
- A positive can-do attitude and enthusiasm for the task at hand.
- Excellent social skills and critical thinking skills.
- Technological proficiency with Microsoft suite and/or Google Drive, and social media.
- Comfortable in a shifting of priorities environment and ability to quickly adapt.
- Detailed oriented and able to take ownership of projects and follow through.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in self-directed manner.