2019 Spring Semester Internship Program
The Massachusetts Democratic Party is currently seeking applications from highly motivated high school seniors, college students and graduate students to engage in a 12-week internship program. This program will provide participants with an opportunity to engage with the Massachusetts Democratic Party. This semester, interns will be involved in the planning and implementation of several events such as the Democratic Campaign Institute, Democratic State Committee Meetings, preparation for 2019 and 2020 caucuses and conventions and other events to help grow our Party.
- Internships are a 12-week experience that begins with an orientation on January 19th and ends on or about April 12th.
- Interns are expected to work 15 to 20 hours a week, with the option and expectation that some work will be on nights and weekends.
- Internship schedules are flexible, and we are committed to a schedule that allows interns to attend school and/or work while interning.
- Interns will work out of the Massachusetts Democratic Party Headquarters in Boston.
- When applicable, we will gladly assist to qualify eligible interns for course credit.
Political Affairs, Training, and Operations Interns
A good option for political novices and aficionados alike, this internship track will present participants with an opportunity to engage in the core mission of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. Interns will play a role in our coordinated campaign effort by assisting at grassroots events, pulling together presentations, and helping plan and execute trainings. Interns will learn from seasoned organizers of legislative and municipal campaigns, community organizing practices within communities of color and assist with identifying volunteers of color. You will develop an understanding of the political landscape on Beacon Hill and throughout the state. The ideal intern has some exposure to a Democratic campaign or progressive cause and an interest in Democratic politics along with a strong desire to learn more about campaigns and the Massachusetts Democratic Party.
Data and Technology Interns
Data Interns will support Party staff in maintaining the state’s voter file, election and polling place data, and projects aimed to help build organizing plans for campaigns and providing support to local party organizations. Familiarity with VoteBuilder (VAN) and Microsoft Excel and/or a willingness to learn is key.
Digital Content and Graphic Design Interns
Digital Content and Graphic Design interns will support our communications and social media team in developing and designing original content, learning how to develop consistent and comprehensive brand identity and assisting with high priority rapid response activities. Ideal candidates have a passion for design, ability to produce graphics quickly and on demand. Political instincts and an understanding of the news cycle are critical. Basic to intermediate skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or MailChimp required. Experience with gif and/or meme graphics a plus.
- Basic office functions such as answering phones, checking and responding to emails and data entry. General administrative office tasks and duties.
- Greeting guests and volunteers as they enter the office, answer general questions.
- Actively participating in canvasses, phone banks, and voter registration drives.
- Familiarity with the workings of state government and issues in Massachusetts politics.
- Must be able to commit to maintaining office standards of confidentiality and discretion.
- A positive can-do attitude and enthusiasm for the task at hand.
- Excellent social skills and critical thinking skills.
- Technological proficiency with Microsoft suite and/or Google Drive, and social media.
- Comfortable in a shifting of priorities environment and ability to quickly adapt.
- Detailed oriented and able to take ownership of projects and follow through.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner.