Last week I quoted our current senior senator, Elizabeth Warren, “The game is rigged. We can whimper, we can whine, or we can fight back. Me? I’m fighting back.” I told you, “I’m with her. I’m fighting back.”
Since I wrote those words I have continued to fight back. I sent out a newsletter to thousands of people. I went door to door in my hometown, talking to people about the Democratic Party and inviting people to get involved. I registered Democrats at the ACA Rally in Boston. I chaired a meeting of Democrats at which my State Senator, Jamie Eldridge, discussed income inequality to a room full of voters, many of them newly engaged. I inspired someone to restart her local Democratic Committee. I organized a group of people to volunteer at Democratic Party headquarters in Boston. I spoke at a neighboring Democratic event about the Convention. Now I am organizing folks to get to Boston for the march.
This sounds “braggadocious” as I write this, but I do it to give people an idea of the range of things that people can be doing now.
I’ll focus on how to register folks to vote; this is important and easy. For example if you are going to the rally on Saturday do two things in advance: 1) Print out one or two voter registration forms. https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/Voter-reg-mail-in.pdf 2) Familiarize yourself with the Online Voter Registration process: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ovr/ Take the form with you; bookmark the online voter registration site on your smart phone. It is likely that most of the people at the rally on Saturday will be registered Democrats. But there are opportunities: - Encourage voters who are not in a party to become Democrats. - Register those who are eligible to become voters. - Pre-register sixteen and seventeen year olds. - Ensure that people are registered at their current address. If you find someone who is interested the person can go online with a smartphone right then and there. If that is not practical the person can fill out the paper form. You can mail it or bring it to the appropriate clerk. If you do take a form from someone, it is imperative that you turn it in. If you are not in a position to get it to the clerk’s office, the voter can drop the form off with their own town clerk or elections division.
More than 80,000 people are expected at the march here in Boston on Saturday. Speakers include Senator Elizabeth Warren, state Attorney General Maura Healey, and Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh.
Think about it.
PS See you on Saturday and dress warmly.
PPS Events and schedules change rapidly. Matt and I work hard to get the most up to date information, but sometimes we don’t receive notices of changes. Weather can cause cancellations and postponements as well. If in doubt, watch MassDems calendar and check with the organizers.
Ideas for Committees – Set a Schedule The deadline for committees to schedule their caucuses is January 27. If your committee has not yet scheduled your caucus, please me mindful of the deadline. I’ve mentioned previously that with the two month window there is the opportunity to schedule your caucus in conjunction with a regular Democratic Town, City or Ward Committee meeting. I also want to suggest that you pick your meeting dates in advance. Some groups have a regular meeting date, like fourth Monday or third Thursday. Others like to schedule things so that the day of the week varies, allowing those with other regular meetings to attend at least some of the time. If you book your venue a year at a time, then it is less work and people can plan their schedules. Not all venues allow reserving that far in advance. REMINDER: Caucus window: February 4 to April 2, 2017 Convention date: June 3, 2017 in Lowell Here’s the link for scheduling your caucus and other information: http://massdems.org/caucuses/info-for-chairs
Mass Senate Community Conversations COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS 2017 https://malegislature.gov/CC/News Locations and Hosts: 01/31 BOSTON: Senators Joe Boncore, Will Brownsberger, Pat Jehlen, Sonia Chang-Diaz and Linda Dorcena Forry. 02/07 SOUTH COAST: Senators Michael Rodrigues, James Timilty, Marc Pacheco and Mark Montigny. 02/28 SOUTH SHORE: Senators John Keenan, Michael Rush, Richard Ross, Patrick O’Connor, and Walter Timilty. 03/07 SOUTHEAST: Senators Vinny deMacedo, Julian Cyr, and Michael Brady. 03/14 CENTRAL MASS: Senators Harriette Chandler, Anne Gobi, Jen Flanagan, Ryan Fattman, and Michael Moore. 03/21 NORTHEAST: Senators Kathleen O’Connor Ives, Bruce Tarr, Eileen Donoghue, and Barbara L’Italien. 03/28 WMASS: Senators Don Humason, Adam Hinds, Eric Lesser, Jim Welch, and Senate President Stan Rosenberg. 04/04 METROWEST: Senators Jamie Eldridge, Karen Spilka, Cynthia Creem and Mike Barrett. 04/11 NORTH SHORE: Senators Joan Lovely, Sal DiDomenico, Jason Lewis, Ken Donnelly and Thomas McGee.
Recurring Sections and Dispatch Information To subscribe to the Dispatch – send an email to DDemDispatchfirstname.lastname@example.org How to Send an Event to the Dispatch – click here for info Regional and Local E-mail Lists – click here for info Contact Info for MDP – click here for info Weekly joke – click here to read
You Have to Laugh Occasionally – Edited by Matt Shear Tea Pain – The day Trump is inaugurated the terror alert will automatically switch to “Condition Yellow.’
01/20/2017 Rep. Josh Cutler Birthday Party
Friday, January 20, 7 – 9:30 PM
Olde Hitching Post, 48 Spring Street, Hanson, MA 02341
Please join Rep. Cutler and the Cutler Crew for a Birthday Celebration. Dinner buffet, live music, cash bar. Suggested donation: $25/$50/$100 (or $46 if you prefer). RSVP at http://www.joshcutler.com/rep_cutler_birthday_party
*01/21/2017 Boston Women’s March for America* Saturday, January 21, 11 AM Boston Common For those who are not going to Washington, DC, you can march at home in Boston. We will unite to march in solidarity with communities most affected by the hate, intolerance and acts of violence being perpetrated throughout the nation – among many are communities of women, immigrants, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA and people with disabilities. It is is a peaceful, nonpartisan march. Speakers include Senator Elizabeth Warren, AG Maura Healey, Mayor Marty Walsh. 11:00am Speakers and performers on Boston Common 12:00pm People’s Oath and Call to March 12:30pm March through Back Bay 02:00pm Gather at Boston Common for community building http://bostonwomensmarchforamerica.org/ [back]
*01/21/2017 Roll up your Sleeves – DC Event for Marchers
* Saturday, January 21, 5 – 6:30 PM Local 16 Bar, 1602 U Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20009 ”Roll up your Sleeves” and it basically is aiming to help people answer the question “how do I fight back over the next four years?” Here’s the RSVP link, with details: [back]
01/21/2017 Information on Women’s March on Washington – Mass Chapter
Saturday, January 21 Massachusetts page — MA Travel coordinator: Johanna Schulman at email@example.com If you get on their email list, you get weekly updates on what’s going on and links to resources. [back]
*01/23/2017 Women for Maura 2017
* Monday, January 23, 5:30 – 7 PM UMass Club, One Beacon Street, 32nd floor, Boston, MA 02108One Beacon Street, 32nd floor, Boston, MA 02108 An event honoring Attorney General Maura Healey. Suggested Contribution: $1000, $500, $250, $125, $50. To RSVP or inquire about joining the host committee contact Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make checks payable to the Committee to Elect Maura Healey or online with a secure donation at https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/womenformaura2017 [back]
01/23/2017 Shrewsbury Democrats Post-Holiday Gathering & Recruitment Drive
Shrewsbury Address Provided Upon RSVP You’re invited to join the Shrewsbury Democratic Town Committee for our Post-Holiday Gathering and Recruitment Drive from 6:30 to 8:30 PM on Monday, January 23rd. This is an annual event, with a new twist… instead of asking guests to bring one thing, we’re asking you to bring two: 1) An appetizer or dessert 2) A new Shrewsbury Democrat. Be sure to RSVP to help with planning. To RSVP and receive address, e-mail ShrewsburyDTC@Gmail.com. [back]
01/23/2017 Ludlow Democratic Town Committee Meeting
01/24/2017 Salem Democratic City Committee January Meeting
01/25/2017 Peabody Democratic City Committee Meeting
Wednesday, January 25, 6:30 – 7:30 PM Peter A. Torigian Community Life Center, 79 Central St Peabody, MA 01960 Agenda: Speaker to be confirmed; Hear from Washington and Boston Women’s Marches attendees; Plan Caucus for February; Volunteers to plan a spring event to honor a prominent Democrat; Next steps. Bring a friend, or two. [back]
*01/25/2017 Young Democrats of Massachusetts Public Policy Committee Meeting
* Wednesday, January 25, 6:30 – 8 PM Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ, 11 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02108-3001 Suite 410 Join us for the very first meeting of the newly re-formed YDMA Public Policy Committee. Our agenda includes taking steps to write our own platform for The Young Democrats of Massachusetts, and creating a network for change and hope duringhttp://ydma.org the Trump years ahead. We’ll be meeting at Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ; If the door is locked, please call (617) 444 9362 and someone will open it for you. For more info see http://ydma.org [back]
*01/25/2017 Natick Democratic Town Committee Meeting
* Wednesday, January 25, 7 PM Natick Town Hall, 13 E. Central Street, Natick MA 01760 3rd Floor Training Room Guest speaker Sen. Karen Spilka (Second Middlesex and Norfolk), who will talk about her emotional learning initiative, the upcoming legislative agenda, and answer questions. For more information visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/NatickDemocraticTownCommittee/ [back]
01/25/2017 Wilbraham Democratic Town Committee Meeting
Wednesday, January 25, 7 PM Wilbraham Public Library’s Brooks Room. [back]
*01/26/2017 Watertown Meeting with Mass Dems Chair Gus Bickford
* Thursday, January 26, 7:30 PM Lower Hearing Room of the Watertown Town Hall, 149 Main Street, Watertown. Watertown Democratic Town Committee Meeting with Mass Dems Chair Gus Bickford. Our guest speaker will be the new Massachusetts Democratic Party Chair, Gus Bickford. Chairman Bickford will be talking about the state party’s plans to take back the Corner Office here in Massachusetts and what we can do to help fight against the incoming administration in Washington DC. Contact email@example.com [back]
*01/27/2017 Sudbury Democrats Meeting
* Friday, January 27, 7:15 PM Sudbury Senior Center Monthly meeting of the Sudbury Democratic Town Committee. [back]
*01/28/2017 3rd Middlesex Area Democrats Symposium: Moving Forward and Fighting Back
* Saturday, January 28, 9 AM – Noon Weston High School Media Center, 444 Wellesley Street, Weston, MA 02493 9:00am-9:30am Reception; 9:30am – 12:30am Program Moderator: Joseph Mullin. Agenda will focus on motivation and organizing means of Moving Forward and Fighting Back in the Trump era. Congresswoman Katherine Clark, State Senator Michael Barrett and State Representative Tom Stanley will speak. For information and to RSVP contact firstname.lastname@example.org. [back]
01/28/2017 Plymouth County Democratic League 2017 Chair’s Breakfast
Saturday, January 28, 9 – 11 AM Middleboro Elks Riders #1274, 24 High St., Middleboro, MA 02346 Please join local Democratic Town Committee Chairs for a great breakfast and talk about political organizing in Plymouth County. For more info email email@example.com. [back]
*01/28/2017 Ipswich Democratic Town Committee Annual Breakfast with Community Service Award
* Saturday, January 28, 10 AM – Noon Ipswich V.F.W. at 110 County Road, Ipswich, MA. This year’s award will be presented to the Friends of the Ipswich Library. Featured Speaker will be Dr. Don Berwick who will discuss the important issue of health care and the impending overhaul/repeal of the Affordable Care Act which he helped create. All members of our community and region are welcome. Tickets of $35.00 per person include a gourmet breakfast of quiche, bacon, home fries, pastries, juice, coffee and tea. A sponsorship is $50.00. For information, contact Sherry Hurley at firstname.lastname@example.org. [back]
01/28/2017 Holden Town Democratic Committee Annual Winter Dinner
Saturday, January 28, 6 PM The Manor Restaurant, 42 W. Boylston St., West Boylston, MA 01583 6:00 – Social with cash bar. 6:30 – Delicious buffet dinner: salad, 3 entrees (Chicken Marsala, Baked Haddock & Vegetable Lasagna), dessert, and coffee. Cost: $35 per person includes gratuity and tax. Reservations and payment must be received by Saturday January 21, 2017. Checks should be made payable to the Holden Town Democratic Committee and sent to Robin Van Liew, 1 Avery Rd., Holden, MA 01520. For more info call 508-829-7278 or email RobinJVL@gmail.com. [back]
01/30/2017 New Years Gathering with Mayor Setti Warren
Monday, January 30, 6 – 8 PM Mick Morgan’s,118 Needham Street, Newton, MA 02464 Light appetizers will be served, with cash bar available. Note: this is not a fundraising event. No donations please! Event Co-Chairs: Peg Hannigan, Rev. Howard Haywood, Councilor Rick Lipof. Dear Friend, As I begin my final year as Mayor of Newton, I’d like you to join me for an evening of reflection, discussion and good company. We have accomplished a lot in the last seven years – from investing in people and infrastructure to fostering an inclusive innovation economy and getting our city’s finances back in order. You’ve stood by me before, and I need you on my team as we enter a new year. Thank you, and I hope to see you there. –Setti [back]
*01/30/2017 Young Democrats of Massachusetts Back to Business Social
* Monday, January 30, 6:30 – 9 PM Market Lounge, 21 Broad Street, Boston, MA 02109 Join the Young Democrats of Massachusetts and the Greater Boston Young Democrats for drinks and Democratic values, as we celebrate a new year of action. This event is ***ALL AGES*** and open to anyone who wants to know what we are up to in the YDMA! If you are interested in becoming a part of the Young Democrats of Massachusetts, please sign up through our google form at http://goo.gl/PFJh2f SNOW DATE: Feb 6th [back]
01/30/2017 AG Maura Healey’s Post- Election Town Hall – Hingham
Monday, January 30, 7 – 8:30 PM Derby Academy, 56 Burditt Ave., Hingham, MA 02043 Please join Attorney General Maura Healey and organizers for a post-election Town Hall meeting. So much is at stake and we need to act to build on and protect the progress we’ve made in our communities, throughout Massachusetts and across the nation. Come hear what the Attorney General intends to do and how you can get involved. Note: This event is free an open to the public. Guests are asked to register in advance because seating is limited. RSVP http://bit.ly/2iwzddc [back]
*01/31/2017 Sexual Health Lobby Day – UPDATED
* Tuesday, January 31, 9:30 AM Massachusetts State House in Boston Lobby Day activities will include: 09:30am-10:30am Sexual Health Fair – Grab some coffee and meet representatives from the state’s leading sexual health providers and advocacy organizations to learn about opportunities to get involved, take action, and take care of your health. 10:30am-11:00am Raising Our Voices – Hear from activists who will share their stories and mobilize with us to protect sexual and reproductive health care. The speaking program will also feature a lineup of some of the Commonwealth’s most remarkable political leaders, including Senator Harriette Chandler, Representative Juana Matias, and Attorney General Maura Healey as keynote speaker. 11:00am-12:00pm Lobbying 101 – Come learn what lobbying is and get all the information and practice you need prior to meeting with your elected officials. 12:00pm-02:00pm Meetings with Legislators: Join a group of your peers from your legislative district(s). You will have the opportunity to speak directly with your elected officials and their staff to advocate for important legislation to protect and increase access to birth control, comprehensive sex education, and confidential health care. Sponsored by NARAL ProChoice Mass, Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund of MA, and many others. For more info or to RSVP see http://bit.ly/2iNWsiJ [back]
02/01/2017 Michelle Wu’s 2nd Annual Lunar New Year Celebration w/Marty Walsh
Wednesday, February 1, 5:30 – 7:30 PM location TBA Boston City Council President Michelle Wu invites you to attend her 2nd annual Lunar New Year Celebration. Special guest, Mayor Martin J. Walsh. Suggested contribution: Chair $1,000/Host $500/Friend $250/Supporter $100. RSVP at https://Bit.ly/WuLunarNY17 or address questions to Sharon Durkan at email@example.com or 617-303-0347. [back]
02/01/2017 Bellingham DTC Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, February 1, 7 PM Municipal Ctr., 10 Mechanic St. [back]
02/02/2017 Democratic State Committee Meeting
Thursday, February 2, 7 PM Boston Teachers Union, 180 Mt. Vernon Street, Dorchester 02125 6:00 pm Refreshments 7:00 pm Meeting One agenda item is voting on a new DNC Committee Man to represent Massachusetts. DSC member John Bowes has interviewed all five declared candidates: LINK TO INTERVIEWS: http://bit.ly/2hxPEFm NOTE: There is a Mt. Vernon Street on Beacon Hill. Be sure to use the zip code when using a GPS. [back]
02/04/2017 Lincoln DTC Symposium: Moving Forward and Fighting Back
Saturday, February 4, 9 AM – Noon Bemis Hall, 15 Bedford Road, Lincoln 01773 Agenda will focus on motivation and organizing means of Moving Forward and Fighting Back in the Trump era. Elected officials from the area have been invited to speak. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org . [back]
*02/04/2017 First Essex Middlesex Coalition Meeting
* Saturday, February 4, 9 AM Ipswich Town Library, 25 North Main Street Ipswich. Democratic State Chair Gus Bickford will be the guest speaker. For more information, contact Kathy Pasquina at email@example.com [back]
02/04/2017 Marlborough Dems City Committee Meeting
Saturday, February 4, 9:15 AM Marlborough Library, 35 W. Main Street, Marlborough (Story Hour Room) After the meeting, at 10:30 am, Danielle Gregoire our State Rep covering W2P1,W3,4,5,6 W7P2, will be available to speak to his constituents. For more info see http://www.marlboroughdcc.org [back]
02/04/2017 College Democrats of Massachusetts Winter Summit at Smith College
Saturday, February 4, 11 AM – 4:30 PM Smith College Selye Hall, 10 Elm Street Northampton, Massachusetts 01063 The College Democrats of Massachusetts invites you to attend CDM’s Annual Winter Summit. Events for the day include our Constitutional Convention, a Foreign Policy Briefing with a local professor, workshops by our Women’s and Environmental caucuses, and a discussion on reacting to Donald Trump’s election. Guests for the event include: City of Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse, Northampton Mayor David J. Narkewicz, Third Hampshire District State Representative Solomon Goldstein- Rose, and other local officials. The admission fee for high-school students is $7.00; all other attendees are requested to pay $5.00 for admission. Register at https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/wsummit17 and for more about College Dems see http://macollegedems.org [back]
02/06/2017 MNW Alliance Meeting with Gus Bickford
Monday, February 6, 7 PM Restaurant 45, 45 Milford Street, Medway At the Middlesex, Norfolk, and Worcester Democratic Alliance Meeting, State Party Chair Gus Bickford will be sharing his thoughts and ideas and will be responding to questions and suggestions. Guests arriving early, 6:00 PM, for food or beverages are asked to email Paul Yorkis at firstname.lastname@example.org. [back]
02/08/2017 Men for Choice 2017 Honoring Cong. Joe Kennedy & State Sen. Dan Wolf
Wednesday, February 8, 6 – 8 PM Carrie Nation, 11 Beacon Street, Boston NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts will be presenting their 2017 Men for Choice Awards to Congressman Joseph Kennedy III and State Senator Dan Wolf. This event will be 21+. Early bird tickets (only available until January 13th!): $20; General tickets (after January 13th): $35; Sponsorships start at $150. Tickets and sponsorships available at http://bit.ly/2iFsRLz [back]
02/09/2017 Celebration of Ayanna Pressley’s Birthday
Thursday, February 9, 6 – 8 PM Dona Habana, 811 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA, 02118. Join the Friends of Ayanna Pressley in celebrating her 43rd birthday. The suggested levels to fundraise or contribute are: Sponsor:$1,000; Host:$543; Co-Host:$243; Guest:$143;Friend:$43 Contributions can be made online at: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/ap43birthday or by check mailed payable to “Friends of Ayanna Presley” to PO Box 15, Boston, MA 02137. To RSVP, please contact Nai Collymore-Henry at 857-220-7026. [back]
02/16/2017 Wellesley Dems Meeting
Thursday, February 16, 7:30 PM Wellesley Community Center, Monthly meeting of the Wellesley Democratic Town Committee. For more information contact email@example.com Futures meeting dates: 3/14, 4/13, 5/9, 6/15. [back]
*02/17/2017 Marblehead Democratic Town Committee
* Friday, February 17, 7 PM Marblehead Community Center, 10 Humphrey Street, Marblehead, MA [back]
02/18/2017 Greater Lowell Area Democrats (GLAD) Monthly Breakfast Meeting
Saturday, February 18, 8 – 10 AM Independence Bar & Grill/Radisson, 10 Independence Dr., Chelmsford, Massachusetts 01824 $7 requested donation to cover room and breakfast. GLAD member communities: Bedford, Billerica, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Groton, Lowell, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Tyngsboro and Westford. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org. [back]
*02/18/2017 Yarmouth Dems Meeting
* Saturday, February 18, 1 PM Selectmen’s Room, Town Hall, Yarmouth Monthly meeting of the Yarmouth Democratic Town Committee. All Yarmouth Democrats are invited to attend. Entrance will be from the side door. Questions: contact Bob Isadore at email@example.com. Meeting dates: 3/4, 4/15, 5/20, 6/17, 8/19, 9/16, 10/21, 11/18. [back]
02/18/2017 Holliston Dems Comedy Night
Saturday, February 18 Save the Date!!! Watch this space for more information. [back]
*02/21/2017 YDMA Event with Former US Senator Mo Cowan
* Tuesday, February 21, 5:30 PM Mintz Levin One Financial Center, 38th Floor Boston Young Democrats of Massachusetts Black Caucus Kickoff with special guest, former US Senator Mo Cowan. https://www.facebook.com/events/1802208350044984/ [back]
02/22/2017 Natick Democratic Town Committee Meeting
*02/23/2017 Watertown Dems Meeting with Boston City Councilor Josh Zakim
* Thursday, February 23, 7:30 PM Lower Hearing Room of the Watertown Town Hall, 149 Main Street, Watertown. Monthly meeting of Watertwon Democratic Town Committee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org [back]
02/27/2017 Ludlow Democratic Town Committee Meeting
03/04/2017 Ludlow Democratic Town Committee Annual Breakfast
03/04/2017 Policy Summit with State Senator Julian Cyr
Saturday, March 4, 1 – 5 PM Cape Cod Community College, 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable, MA 02668 This is the rescheduled date for this event. More info: email@example.com. RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/policy-summit-with-state-senator-julian-cyr-tickets-30530092328 [back]
*03/04/2017 Yarmouth Dems Meeting
* Saturday, March 4, 1 PM Selectmen’s Room, Town Hall, Yarmouth Monthly meeting of the Yarmouth Democratic Town Committee. All Yarmouth Democrats are invited to attend. Entrance will be from the side door. Questions: contact Bob Isadore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meeting dates:4/15, 5/20, 6/17, 8/19, 9/16, 10/21, 11/18. [back]
03/08/2017 Longmeadow Democratic Town Committee Meeting
Wednesday, March 8, 7:30 – 8:30 PM Greenwood Center dining room, 231 Maple Rd., Longmeadow Our annual meeting when we meet in groups to discuss important issues submitted by LDTC Members. For more info email LongmeadowDemocrats@gmail.com. [back]
03/11/2017 Marlborough Dems City Committee Meeting
Saturday, March 11, 9:15 AM Marlborough Library, 35 W. Main Street, Marlborough (Story Hour Room) After the meeting, at 10:30 am, Carmine Gentile our State Rep covering W1, W2P2, W7P1, will be available to speak to his constituents. For more info see http://www.marlboroughdcc.org [back]
03/18/2017 Greater Lowell Area Democrats (GLAD) Monthly Breakfast Meeting
Saturday, March 18, 8 – 10 AM Independence Bar & Grill, 10 Independence Dr., Chelmsford, Massachusetts 01824 $7 requested donation to cover room and breakfast. GLAD member communities: Bedford, Billerica, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Groton, Lowell, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Tyngsboro and Westford. For more info email email@example.com. [back]
03/22/2017 Natick Democratic Town Committee Meeting
*03/25/2017 Attleboro Southeastern Mass Unity Brunch
* Saturday, March 25, 9 AM Murray Unitarian Universalist Church, 505 N Main Street, Attleboro Attleboro 20th Annual Southeastern Massachusetts Democratic Spring Unity Brunch. $20 per person, $15 for students. CONFIRMED GUESTS: Former State Treasurer and Former DNC Chair: Steve Grossman; District Attorney: Tom Quinn; State Representative: Paul Heroux; Governors Councilor: Robert Jubinville; Mass Dems State Party Chair: Gus Bickford. Tickets will be available at the door. Tickets can be also purchased in advance by mailing a check payable to Attleboro Democratic City Committee Treasurer, Jackie Romaniecki, 120 Augsburg Drive Attleboro MA Further Details This event is hosted annually by the Attleboro Democratic City Committee. For further information Ellen Parker at 508-222-3062 or e-mail us at Elparker2@gmail.com [back]
04/30/2017 Longmeadow Democratic Town Committee Democrat of the Year Award Breakfast
Sunday, April 30, 9:30 AM Twin Hills Country Club, 700 Wolf Swamp Road, Longmeadow, MA 01106 Annual LDTC gala award event. Democrat of the Year: Senate President Stanley Rosenberg. Also to be recognized and congratulated: Congressman Richard E. Neal–Ranking Democratic Member of the House Ways and Means Committee. For more info see https://www.facebook.com/longmeadowdems or email LongmeadowDemocrats@gmail.com. [back]
*05/06/2017 Jefferson Jackson Dinner
* Saturday, May 6 Doubletree Hilton, Rt 28, Hyannis SAVE THE DATE! [back]
05/08/2017 Shrewsbury DTC Meeting
Monday, May 8, 7 PM Community Room at Southgate, 30 Julio Drive, Shrewsbury. Our meetings are open to any interested Democrat, not just members! For more information contact ShrewsburyDTC@Gmail.com. [back]
05/13/2017 3rd Middlesex Area Democrats Annual Spring Breakfast
Saturday, May 13, 9 AM – Noon Hilton Garden Inn, 450 Totten Pond Road, Waltham Themes: Recognizing volunteer success in Massachusetts and New Hampshire; Motivation and Means of Moving Forward and Fighting Back in the Trump era. Elected officials serving the Middlesex area have been invited to speak. For information or to purchase tickets contact firstname.lastname@example.org. [back]
05/20/2017 Greater Lowell Area Democrats (GLAD) Monthly Breakfast Meeting
Saturday, May 20, 8 – 10 AM Independence Bar & Grill/Radisson, 10 Independence Dr., Chelmsford, Massachusetts 01824 $7 requested donation to cover room and breakfast. GLAD member communities: Bedford, Billerica, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Groton, Lowell, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Tyngsboro and Westford. For more info email email@example.com. [back]
*07/08/2017 Yarmouth Dems Annual Barbecue
* Saturday, July 8 SAVE THE DATE! [back]
Caucus and Convention Information
The method of selecting delegates was approved on November 14 by the DSC. Please refer to this document (once is is posted) for information on the process. Some of the key dates are listed here: Deadline for notifying MDP of caucus date: January 27, 2017 Caucus window: February 4 to April 2, 2017 Convention date: June 3, 2017 in Lowell NOTE: The DSC voted to allow sixteen and seventeen year old pre-registered Democrats to take part in the State Convention and vote on the party platform at the 2017 Democratic State Convention, if they become delegates. Preregistered Democrats who will be age 18 by the anticipated date of the 2018 primary will be able to participate in caucuses and run for delegate or to apply to become youth add-on delegates. PLATFORM: Since it is a platform convention, caucuses usually go fairly quickly. This makes it easier to have a committee meeting in conjunction with your local caucus. A specific time for a caucus is required. For example it it is not allowed to have the caucus follow the adjournment of a committee meeting. But a committee meeting can immediately following the adjournment of a caucus. With the very long window it is easy to schedule a caucus on the same day as a regular meeting. With the provision to have candidates who are absent be able to run under specified conditions, many committees find this to be a practical way to proceed.
Please send us your Democratic events. We want to publicize what you are doing. We usually go to press on Friday AM, so make sure you send your info no later than Thursday evening to get into that week’s issue. 1) Use subject line “For the Dispatch” 2) Put your event information in text format in the body of the email. Please include start time, end time (if any), location (with street address for GPS), event description (it’s good to mention food/drink/donations/RSVP), and a link to more info. 3) Send to DDemDispatchfirstname.lastname@example.org
Note that unlike some other Yahoo groups, replies and other comments sent to us at email@example.com come only to us and are not published.
The Democratic Dispatch is a more or less weekly e-mail newsletter for Democratic events across the state. Your editors are Kate Donaghue and Matt Shear. Pace Willisson handles the tech stuff. We edit this as volunteers as our way of promoting the Democratic Party, Democratic candidates and the Democratic Platform. The positions represented in the regular “Greetings from Kate” or “Greetings from Matt” reflect our personal positions, and not those of the Democratic Party.
Thanks! Kate Donaghue (and Matt Shear)
Ideas for Committees – Choosing Your Caucus Time
The caucus window for 2017 is February 4th – April 2nd. This gives Committees a lot of flexibility. In a platform committee year, the caucus is usually fairly quick. Many committees find that it is helpful to have a committee meeting in conjunction with their caucus. The caucus has to be at a time certain so it is generally best to have the caucus first, immediately followed by a committee meeting. Sometimes committees schedule a meeting first, followed by their caucus an hour later. That is allowed, but has the disadvantage that if your meeting is quick, people are waiting for the caucus to start. Additionally, if non-members come at the published time for the caucus, they may not be aware of a meeting that they might otherwise have attended. SUMMARY OF CAUCUS INFORMATION. - notify the MDP office of your caucus NO LATER THAN January 27th. - eligible young people who PREREGISTER as Democrats may vote at a caucus. - Platform Convention is June 3rd in Lowell Method of Selecting Delegates: http://bit.ly/2hOPXyq Link to post a caucus: http://bit.ly/2hfrWQm Town/ward chairs http://www.massdems.org/index.php/your-party/town-and-ward-committees If the contact information listed is not accurate, please notify the MDP by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
E-Mail Lists/Campaign Contacts
SEND ME INFORMATION ON YOUR LIST If your list is not listed here, or the information that I have needs to be changed, just send an e-mail to DDemDispatchemail@example.com.
Please sign up for the lists that suit your needs. If it turns out a list doesn’t suit you, just opt out. In some, but not all of these groups, it helps to write a note as to why you want to join. Just as an FYI, in some groups, the groups is configured so a message is not seen. So let the owner know who you are.
1EM Alliance (Gloucester area Democrats) -Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd MAD (Middlesex Area Dems) – http://3rdMAD.org/ or http://www.facebook.com/
4th MAD (Middlesex Area Dems) listserv – email 4thMiddlesexSenate-subscribe@
Berkshire area – berkshires4demchange@
Bershire Brigades – email email@example.com
Cape and Island Democrats – http://www.
College Dems of MA – http://macollegedems.org
GLAD (Greater Lowell Area Democrats) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Greater Blackstone Valley Dems – http://www/gbvdems.org
Kids for Democracy – (for kids & teens) contact email@example.com
List for DTC activists – MassDemsGuide-subscribe@
Merrimack Valley Young Democrats – https://www.facebook.com/YDM.
Middlesex County Democrats listserv – email MiddlesexCountyDems-subscribe@
MNWAlliance (Splika district)-AllianceDems-
MWDems (Eldridge District) – MWDemsfirstname.lastname@example.org
North Shore Update – NorthShoreDemocraticUpdate-
Organizing for Action – http://www.barackobama.com – Contact Marianne Rutter, email@example.com Hanna Gerhard, firstname.lastname@example.org
Plymouth County Democratic League – Facebook “Plymouth County Democratic League” contact: PCDL Chairman, John Bowes email@example.com
South Shore Democratic News – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
South Shore Democrats – http://www.
South Shore Democratic Caucus – email@example.com
Acton DTC – http://www.actondems.org/ https://www.facebook.com/
Amesbury DCC – https://www.facebook.com/
Andover DTC – http://andoverdemocrats.org/
Arlington DTC – http://www.arlingtondems.org/
Ashland DTC – http://www.ashlanddems.org
Attleboro DTC – http://www.attleborodems.org email firstname.lastname@example.org
Auburn DTC – email@example.com
Ayer DTC – http://www.ayerdems.org/ email firstname.lastname@example.org
Barnstable DTC – http://barnstable-democrats.
Bellingham DTC – http://www.bellinghamdems.org/
Belmont DTC – http://www.belmontdemocrats.
Beverly DTC – http://www.bevdems.org/
Billerica DTC – http://www.billericademocrats.
Bolton DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Boston Ward 5 DC – http://bostonward5dems.org
Boxborough DTC – http://www.boxboroughdems.org
Boxford DTC – http://boxforddems.wordpress.
Brewster DTC – http://www.facebook.com/
Bridgewater DTC – http://bridgewaterdems.
Brockton DTC – http://www.brocktondems.com/
Brookline DTC – http://brooklinedems.org/
Cambridge Democratic City Committee – http://www.cambridgedems.com/
Cohasset DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Concord DTC – ConcordDems-subscribe@
Duxbury DTC – http://duxburydems.com/
Easthampton DCC – http://www.easthamptondems.
Easton DTC – http://www.
Falmouth DTC – http://
Foxborough DTC – http://www.foxborodems.org/
Framingham DTC – http://www.framinghamdems.org/
Franklin DTC – http://www.franklindemocrats.
Gloucester DCC – http://gloucesterdemocrats.org email: email@example.com
Grafton DTC – http://www.graftondems.org
Groton DTC – http://grotondemocrats.com/ email GrotonDTC@gmail.com
Greenfield DTC – http://greenfielddemocrats.org
Hanson DTC – http://www.hansondemocrats.
Haverhill DCC – https://www.facebook.com/
Holliston DTC – http://www.hollistondems.com/
Hopkinton – hopkintondemocrats@
Hudson DTC – http://hudsondemocrats.org
Ipswich DTC – http://www.facebook.com/
Kingston DTC – http://www.kingstondems.org
Lawrence DCC – https://www.facebook.com/
Lexington DTC – http://www.
Lincoln – lincolndems-subscribe@
Leicester – http://www.leicesterdemocrats.
Longmeadow DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Lunenburg DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Malden DCC – https://www.facebook.com/
Manchester DTC – http://www.demsbythesea.org
Mansfield DTC – http://www.mansfielddems.org
Marblehead DTC – https://www.facebook.com/2016-
Marlborough DCC – http://www.marlboroughdcc.org email MarlboroughDCC@gmail.com
Maynard DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Medford DCC – https://medforddems.org/
Milford DTC – http://www.milforddtc.org
Millis DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Natick – firstname.lastname@example.org
Needham DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Newton DCC – http://www.newtondems.org/ email: NewtonDems@gmail.com
Orange DTC – http://www.facebook.com/
Orleans DTC – email email@example.com
Peabody DTC – http://www.facebook.com/
Pembroke DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Plymouth DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Reading DTC – contact ReadingDems@aol.com
Rockport DTC – https://rockportdems.org
Salem DCC – http://www.facebook.com/
Shirley DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Shrewsbury DTC – http://www.
Somerville DCC – http://www.somdems.org/
South Hadley DTC – http://southhadleydemocrats.
Southborough DTC – SbroDems-subscribe@
Southbridge DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Southampton DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Springfield Ward 6 https://www.facebook.com/
Stockbridge DTC – http://StockbridgeDemocrats.
Stoughton DTC – http://www.stoughtondems.org or https://www.facebook.com/
Sturbridge DTC – http://www.facebook.com/
Sudbury DTC – http://sudburydemocrats.org/ email: SudburyDems-subscribe@
Swampscott DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Taunton DCC – http://tauntondems.org/
Templeton DTC – http://groups.yahoo.com/group/
Tewksbury DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Waltham DCC – http://watchcitydemocrats.
Watertown DTC – firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayland DTC – http://www.waylanddems.org/ email: email@example.com
Wellesley DTC – http://wellesleydems.org/ email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Wellfleet DTC – http://wellfleetdems.org email: firstname.lastname@example.org
West Newbury – http://www.westnewburydems.org email: email@example.com
Westborough DTC – WbroDems-subscribe@
Weston DTC – http://westondems.org/
Weymouth DTC – http://www.weymouthdemocrats.
Wilmington DTC – http://wilmingtondems.org or https://www.facebook.com/
Winchester DTC – https://www.facebook.com/
Worcester DCC – https://www.facebook.com/
If the group is a yahoo group you can sign up by sending an e-mail to the address listed. The subject and content can be left blank, but if your e-mail system objects just put the word subscribe in both places. In some groups to avoid spammers, when applying to join state your name & town and include a brief statement why you are joining.
CONTACT INFORMATION: PARTY INFORMATION Massachusetts Democratic Party: 11 Beacon St, Suite 410 Boston, MA 02110 Tel: 617-939-0800 Fax: 617-426-5126