This summer the Massachusetts Democratic Party is seeking passionate and dedicated interns interested in learning about the Massachusetts political process on a statewide level. Interns are crucial to the success of the Party in many respects, and our internship program provides interns with the opportunity to get a foot in the door of Massachusetts politics.
At the Massachusetts Democratic Party, our staff encourages interns to take on lead roles in many ongoing projects, offering interns the opportunity to see projects through from start to finish. This summer we will continue working with our Democratic leaders and activists to hold Governor Charlie Baker’s Administration accountable for his decisions. Additionally, we will be managing Democratic Town Committee Caucuses, at which delegates are elected to our convention in September. Interns will also be involved with the planning process for the convention, a major political event bringing together 5,000 Democratic activists from around the state.
Interns are expected to approach their administrative tasks with the same enthusiasm and professionalism as their special projects. Administrative tasks may include answering the phones, putting together relevant news briefings, maintaining our voter and fundraising databases, and managing office mail, voicemail, and email. Interns are often the first point of contact for people reaching out to the Massachusetts Democratic Party, and thus must maintain a professional rapport in both internal and external communication.
Applicants best suited for a 2015 Summer Internship are those interested in learning about the overall Democratic process, the structure of a year-round fundraising operation, and political communications.
This summer we will be offering one paid internship – The Deval L. Patrick Internship. To apply and for more information, please click here.
Interns are expected to commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please send a resume and cover letter (both as attachments) that express why you are interested in working for the Massachusetts Democratic Party to Sarah Baughman. The deadline to apply is Friday,May 8th; we will be interviewing and accepting positions on a rolling basis.
All interns should expect:
- To work hard and be challenged
- To work with people of all personalities and backgrounds
- To take ownership of specific projects
- To take initiative in creating projects and offering suggestions for established projects
- To work independently
Interns will perform tasks such as:
- Compiling of daily press clips for staff
- Assisting with social media management and implementation
- Performing donor research
- Maintaining of the Party databases, including donor information
- Assisting with drafting fundraising communications
- Assisting with planning and executing fundraising events
Interns will have an opportunity to:
- Learn the ins and outs of a year-round political organization, specifically the structure of the Democratic Party on a local, state and federal level
- Develop essential skills to establishing a career in Democratic politics through the use of VoteBuilder and other key Democratic organizing tools that ultimately make our ground game more effective and enable us to collect and analyze data efficiently
- Build a network among activists and community leaders
- Strengthen interpersonal and communications skills
- Inform the organization’s messaging and fundraising strategy through research
- Contribute toward communications that reach a readership of over 25k by email, 13k people by Twitter posts, and 5k people by Facebook
- Enable staff to quickly capitalize on important issues and events
- Establish a foundation of fundraising skills, including evaluating donor potential, planning and executing events, and expanding a grassroots donor program
- Gain an understanding of statewide fundraising strategy
We are looking for interns with the following skills and qualities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including speaking on the phone
- Strong research skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently