The Moakley Internship is awarded every year to one student for an 11-week internship during the summer at Massachusetts Democratic Party headquarters. The paid internship is $3,500 and you will work alongside State Party staff in building the grassroots foundations of the 2012 election.
The John F. Scholarship is an award that the MA Democratic Party gives to one male and one female every year. The award is $1,500 to assist a student towards their higher education financial aid.
In a ceremony held at the Massachusetts Democratic State Convention, on Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 both the internship and awards will be presented.
- A Massachusetts Resident.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university in the United States.
- 18-23 years old.
- Entering into your third or fourth year of college study with a GPA of 3.0 or better (Scholarship Only).
- Complete the entire application and submit the required materials before 5:00pm on April 20, 2012.
On a separate piece of paper, please type or print answers to the following questions:
- Describe your public service (non-campaign) activities, including dates and length of service.
- Describe your academic activities/achievements/honors along with dates and length of participation. Include your overall GPA.
- Describe your political experiences including campaign activity and include dates and length of service.
- Attach a current resume.
- Describe your financial need including current outstanding loans and current financial support from institutions, parents, self, and other organizations.
- Attach a 500 word essay on your interest in the American political system.
Please provide the following in a sealed envelope:
- A recommendation from a Dean, Department Chair, or Professor, as to your seriousness
- of commitment to the field of American politics (If needed they can email the recommendation directly to the MDP with the subject line Scholarship Committee -Moakley Internship/JFK Scholarship)
- A recommendation from a person of your choice as to your worthiness of the award you are applying for.
- Official academic transcript.
- A letter from your Financial Aid Office that you are qualified to receive some form of aid with the Pell Grant Index from the SAR (Scholarship Only).
DEADLINE: Friday April 20, 2012 before 5:00pm
Massachusetts Democratic Party/ Attn: Scholarship Committee
77 Summer St., 10th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Telephone number: (617) 939-0800 / Fax number: (617) 426-5126
Email: Natalie Boyle, firstname.lastname@example.org