Massachusetts Democrats believe in evidence-based solutions that promote public safety and reduce crime. We believe the foundation of a strong community is a citizenry that is safe. Therefore, we encourage investment in strategies that best support the efforts of law enforcement.
Massachusetts Democrats Support:
- Preventing gun violence through universal background checks, banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and increasing access to mental health services;
- Community-based policing;
- Strong victims’ rights;
- A review of our sentencing laws, particularly for non-violent drug offenders and mandatory minimums;
- Leveraging technology to drive intelligence-led law enforcement efforts;
- Strong state laws and enforcement against hate crimes, child abuse, domestic violence, elder abuse, sexual abuse, and abuse that is directed against people with disabilities;
- Strong intervention and child abuse prevention programs and services for youth and at-risk individuals;
- Expanding community-based correctional services;
- Targeted re-entry programs focused ending the cycle of criminal behavior;
- Protecting consumers against identity theft and fraud;
- Addiction prevention and addiction recovery programs;
- Expanding the juvenile system to include 17 year olds; and
- Adequately funding state court systems.